July 7, 2019 | No Regular Sunday Gatherings
In the summer of 2009, Crossroads cancelled its Sunday gatherings for 2 weeks. We did this in response to a sermon series entitled “God of the City.” This study was incredibly formative, shaping us into the church we are. It caused us to see that Crossroads does not exist for itself. We exist, in large part, for this city, and for our neighbors.
On those two weekends, values like being a “church without walls” actually began to be put into practice. As a church family, we were able to embody the idea that 90% of who we are should be lived outside of a Sunday gathering at our own personal “street corner,” for Christ and His Kingdom.
So, on the 10 year anniversary of this date, we are stepping away from our Sunday gatherings on July 7 to take seriously what Jesus called the greatest commandment: to love God with everything we have, and to love our neighborhood as ourselves.
This could take many expressions:
- Have a family church service
- Invite neighbors to a meal or a cookout at your house
- Prayer walk your neighborhood or your place of work
- Do a service project with your house church or as a family
- Attend another community church service with a commitment to pray for that body
- Bless another community church with your tithe for the week
- Anything else you can dream up for your neighborhood!